Rice pudding with spices – meghli. It is a delicious rice pudding spiced with anise, cinnamon and caraway and garnished with shredded coconut and nuts. I prepared Meghli with my mother in law following the family recipe, a very simple recipe that now all of you will be able to follow. Meghli, a cinnamon-spiced rice pudding is a traditional Lebanese dessert.
The traditional Lebanese rice pudding called meghli is a vegan, gluten, and dairy-free dish that is traditionally consumed to celebrate the birth of a baby. It is also said that the brown color of the spiced pudding is symbolic for the richness of soil, while the rough texture of the nuts on top represents. This traditional Lebanese Rice Flour Pudding has the aroma of foreign spices and a texture and flavor completely unique to my American taste buds. You can cook Rice pudding with spices – meghli using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rice pudding with spices – meghli
- You need 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 9 cups of water.
- You need 1 tablespoon of caraway powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of aniseed powder.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of fennel powder.
- It’s of For garnishing:.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut powder.
- Prepare 1 cup of raw almonds or walnuts.
- It’s 3/4 cup of raw pine nuts.
My first taste of this pudding was as a special gift to me when I found out I was having a baby boy. In Lebanese culture, when you find out you are having. Meghli, moghli, meghleh, (Arabic: مغلي), or karawiyah, is a Levantine dessert based on a floured rice pudding and spiced with anise, caraway, and cinnamon. The dish is often garnished with dried coconut flakes and various nuts including almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, and pistachios.
Rice pudding with spices – meghli instructions
- In a pot, put the rice powder with 2 cups of water. Stir them for 3 minutes..
- Add the remaining 7 cups water, the spices and the sugar to the pot and put it on high heat. Start stirring immediately as you put the pot on heat..
- Continue stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Turn off heat..
- Pour in small serving cups and wait until the meghli cools completely before placing the cups in the refrigerator..
- To serve, garnish with a layer of coconut powder, pine nuts and almonds or walnuts..
If you were expecting a baby and you lived in the middle east. It is basically a rice pudding that is spiced with anise, caraway and cinnamon. Unlike other rice puddings, meghli is a vegan treat. What appears like chocolate pudding is actually rice flour mixed with water and sugar, tinted brown by copious spices and thickened Rice pudding is a common global Christmas dessert. Scandinavians eat a vanilla-scented version on Christmas Eve.